Wednesday, August 08, 2007

My Afternoon At Kensington Gardens


Some time back, I went to London. During the approach into Heathrow, I managed to take the above picture of Kensington Gardens, which was originally part of Hyde Park. That's the (obvious) Round Pond with Kensington Palace to its left, across The Boardwalk.

As usual, I headed straight for the lovely park with my camera and (then-new) Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR lens. A guy and his new toy, no obstacles to deter them. Straight to shooting around Kensington Gardens, en-route to Nahar Cafeteria at Mara House. Needed my fix of nasi campur and teh tarik. 10 Sterling Pounds for the meal, aiyo! A man and his hungry stomach, no obstacles to deter them, too.

Some of the hundreds of shots I took that day:






Then this little girl caught my eye. Cute little 'un this one. She was with two ladies, the older one presumably her mom and the younger one pictured below in the green jumper.

A short moment after this snapshot, they were all having snacks back on their picnic mat. I then continued to enjoy my zoom lens with shots like this:



That same cute girl from earlier on was back at the edge of the pond. I took this shot below of her and I began to focus on the swans and ducks, when there was a splash and some screams.



I turned to look, with my viewfinder of course. And my finger instinctively pressed the shutter and caught this piture.....


The poor little toddler was about 10 meters from where I was so I had to dash towards her. Her mom got there first and she promptly jumped in. It was slippery beneath. Thus, they were both slipping and sliding. The mom was gasping for help. When I got near them, I had a momentary doubt. Around my neck was a few thousand bucks' worth of equipment and should they have a swim in the murky waters of The Round Pond, I will face a murky situation indeed.

Proudly, I overcame the selfish thoughts to reach out for the lady's hand. But I still found myself in a tricky situation. The lady was just too heavy for me to pull out. I was myself slowly slipping into the water. Timely assistance came in the form of a middle-aged man. He took my other hand and together, we managed to haul mother and daughter out of the pond.

Mom thanked us and got straight to cleaning themselves up. I thanked the good 'uncle' and he just went 'Jolly good show, ta!' and off he went. Relieved that my photographic equipment was intact as was my pride (could've had to call for help had I slipped in), I decided to escape to somewhere safer:

... where this Pakcik (uncle) dishes out the best comfort food for me this side of The Round Pond,

NAHAR CAFETERIA!

30 comments:

an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

*swoooon*

you're my herrrooooooooo.

oh don't worry, you'll float alright.

sina said...

Mr Pilot, people are inherently good, and once in a while, I get some form of reassurance. :)

Shionge said...

Hey what a blissful day at the part and I've enjoyed the quiet moment of these pple Wngy :D

Anonymous said...

Winged Hero,

These photos bring back memories when I would skive lectures on sunny days and spend them at the park instead. *LOL*

Spent yonks there in that part of Londres but only went to Nahar once. Hmmm...

akula said...

MY HERO......! The dishes la. Not you.

Lily G said...

my male friends never missed a chance to celeb new year at hyde park and cop a kiss from the female coppers.

Anonymous said...

i thought u were going to zoom in on her crack

pugly said...

You have quite a talent in photography. You manage to capture the essence of your subjects very well.

Okay, you can pay me now.

Unknown said...

Wow!! A real honest to goodness knight in shining armour...

* Mara House yang dekat paddington sta. tu ker??

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

babe..... thanks, didn't quite feel like the hero until now. *blush*

mz ayam..... that's my belief, people are inherently good.

shionge..... yup, park is teeming with peaceful and uplifting scenes.

Da Winged Acrophobic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Da Winged Acrophobic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Da Winged Acrophobic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Da Winged Acrophobic said...

drama mama..... glad to have introduced nostalgia for you as you did me with you meruntun entry. I suppose when you were there, Malaysia Hall was the better option. It was for me until 1998 when they changed the food operator.

akula..... food comes first, of course!

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

lily..... haven't had the chance to be there for New Year's Day since 2000. Didn't snog anybody that time......

anonymous..... I've got me own crack, thanks.

mya..... *bowing and blushing* Yes, that's the Nahar in question.

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

pugs..... thanks, would that be cash, cheque, visa or in kind?

D.N.A.S said...

I thought the drama was going to revolve around the Hot Mama with her crack showing. Anyway, these are really nice shots, I love them. I wish I have your camera.

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

dnas..... hahaha, the tot's momma wasn't hot. The momma with her crack showing wasn't hot either. Think I'll blog about some hotties soon. Very honoured by your loving the shots. I do enjoy my cameras and lenses.

all jazzed up said...

heheeh, dnas and me same wavelength la (is it mebbe because we're both STFians). Nonetheless, nice shots and i wonder how come i don't get any drama on any of my vacations :( anyway, since this is my virgin posting in your blog (i think), Hello!

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

alljazzedup..... another STFian, welcome aboard the sampan down the stream. You sure you'd like to experience drama on your vacations? I'd rather a quite down time.

Cosmic_GurL said...

Eeekk! Swans scare me! They're gorgeous creatures but Ive had a bad experience with them.

Aaawww...a lifesaver u are :) Thank goodness the water wasnt that deep, huh?

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

cosmic gurl..... swans can be ugly when they're pissed, honking and snapping their beaks. The edges of the pond isn't deep but filthy, think years of poop from the birds.

Cik Puan Sri Quzz said...

can u swim yope?no.no. the exact q is, are u really a good & fast swimmer? if you r, please leave your contact no to my email
theeheehee...

nice photos, seriously, i mean it yope..

UglyButAdorable said...

ya allah bro..i miss my nahar treats..char koay teow and teh tarik and goreng pisang with ice cream...

auwww..u da hero la bro...

Anonymous said...

is that pak cik ... pak hashim?

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

missy..... I am merely a decent swimmer, came in last in the breaststroke event once. Not worthy. Happy you like the pics.

uba..... ha, kempunan dah? Tak ler hero sangat....

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

anonymous..... I think so.

Anonymous said...

Always great food at Nahar Cafe...was there last month and their daging perut goreng with sambal damn nice! Its always a challenge when I bunked in just above the cafe....the smell kills me in the morning :)

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

traveller..... now you're making me drool!

east43street said...

The most sexiest women in London of course the one strolling the parks with her baby and you have captured one.

Anonymous:
Confirmed that one is Pak Hashim. He is a good ten-pin bowler too.