Friday, October 06, 2006

Tomb Tones


I have been tagged for the first time! By Irene. And am I glad. I get to pick some songs. It's a walloping fun idea.The premise may be morbid, but hey, we are all headed for the same destination. No detours, no U-turns!

Right, so "The idea is to pick five songs that you'd like played at your funeral." I'd like to go on to request that these songs be available on-demand at my tombstone (or niche) even beyond that day. Run on non-polluting, renewable and zero-cost power. Visitors who do not know me could possibly get a glimpse into the person that I was. Not that it matters to them, or even to the long-departed me. I would just like to share.

Are you ready!!!???( In the high-pitched arena scream) Let's do it:

Song #1

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY by Queen

I wonder if Freddie will spank me for this, if I should meet him. This song is about life, full of imperfections and mistakes redeemed by love and compassion. But at the very end, nothing really matters. Death overtakes us all.

Song #2

A QUESTION OF LUST by Depeche Mode

It's a great song about faithfullness and the temptations when away from your partner. This song is to tell mine that, I'm still her's where I'm going. Definitely no chance of getting drunk where I'm headed.... and I'd rather be home as usual.

Song #3

MARGARITA TIME by Status Quo

It's a favourite drink of mine. It is also simple yet catchily hummable ditty from the comtemporaries of Queen. It's about taking chances when it feels vaguely right. In this case, probably in some ways related to song #2. At my funeral, this song and this drink will be served.

Song #4

YOUR SONG by Sir Elton John

Beautifully crafted song filled with such meaningful lyrics by Bernie Taupin. This is to thank everybody that has filled my life with meaning and beauty.

Song #5

IN MY LIFE by The Beatles

This is my farewell to my loved ones. This is one sentimental, tear-jerker when you reminisce about days gone by. Hope this doesn't introduce the water-works at my funeral.



It certainly began with much gleeful enthusiasm. As I went through the encyclopaedia of songs in my head, my life thus far, flashed by, too. I ended up reflecting deeply upon my days past and present. Upon life. Death. This excercise has made me ponder much longer than the 10 minutes I expected to spend on the post. Have I served my purpose in life? Am I living life right? Will I ever?


I'm singing 'Is This The World We Created' by Queen as I type the finishing words to this post.

Just think of all those hungry mouths we have to feed
Take a look at all the suffering we breed
So many lonely faces scattered all around
Searching for what they need.

Is this the world we created
What did we do it for?
Is this the world we invaded
Against the law
So it seems in the end
Is this what we're all living for today
The world that we created.

You know that everyday a helpless child is born
Who needs some loving care inside a happy home
Somewhere a wealthy man is sitting on his throne
Waiting for life to go by.

Is this the world we created,
we made it on our own
Is this the world we devasted, right to the bone
If there's a God in the sky looking down
What can he think of what we've done
To the world that He created.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Fabulous list! Love all the songs you chose. Rock on!!! c",)

Cherry Popcorn said...

It gets you thinking about the meaning of life and all that right? Interesting post..

I like the saying 'Live life like there's no tomorrow!'

Take care!

Anonymous said...

interesting choice of songs (didn't know you were a little 'dated') but some of it does sound a little sad, without a beat to dance to. but let's hope it way, way into the future.

Anonymous said...

Since you did so well with this, I just tagged you again! Have fun and Happy Halloween! :p

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

Irene, thanks for the encouragement. Ooo err, tagged again? Yippeeeeeee!!

Hey princess, hope the haze is not driving you nuts. I have gone bananas and cucumbers! The latter is good for clearing the crap from your breathing apparatus. Take care.

bahan kelabu, alamak kasik chance la. Lagu dated doesn't mean I'm dated. It's just so hard to find songs with substance these days. Except 'My Humps'? ..... see what I mean?

jules, I'll play the songs. I'll even burn you a CD. You'll have to be the one to play 'em songs at my departure proceedings.

Mr Hobo said...

dude .. dah kena tagged .... keep it up ... and welcome to the club!!

Anonymous said...

Bohemian Rhapsody & Your Song? Good choice of songs :) Great lyrics. Thank god u didnt list "Goodbye My Lover" by James Blunt!

pugly said...

Dated pun dated laaa ... but I have to agree, the older tunes do carry more weight than the new ones.

Great choices, O'Winged One! :-)

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

hobo, this blogging thing is hard work but quite rewarding. New entry on the way.

cosmic girl and pugly, I am glad you have taste!